Floor Mat Cleaner
Every time someone gets into your car or truck, they’re likely bringing mud, sand, gravel, or other debris from the outside with them. And it all ends up on the floor mats. For this reason, it is important to know how to clean car floor mats, including cloth, rubber, vinyl, and custom floor mats. You can clean your car floor mats at home or even at a car wash if they have accessories.
Regular cleaning of carpets is essential to combat dirt.If the floor mats are visibly soiled, wash them immediately. If not, a quick weekly or monthly cleaning will do, depending on how the car is used. Here’s what you need to know to keep your car mats looking new after using household cleaners.
Before you begin . The first step in cleaning soiled floor mats is to remove them from the vehicle. It’s much easier to remove stains and dirt when you’re not leaning into the vehicle.Also, you shouldn’t have potentially slippery cleaners around the gas, clutch, and brake pedals, or extra moisture in the car.
After laying the mats, thoroughly vacuum the vehicle interior. If you don’t have a car vacuum, a lint roller like the Evercare Mega Lint Roller with a 42-inch retractable handle can capture dirt and pet hair.
- What You Need
- Carpet Cleaner
- Baking Soda
- Oxygen Bleach
- Dishwashing Liquid
- Vacuum Cleaner
- Soft Bristle Brush
- White Cloth
- Water Hose or Bucket
- Medium Hairbrush
- Carpet Cleaning Equipment and Tools
- The Spruce / Sarah Lee
- How to Clean
- Woven Car Mats Car mats are typically made from nylon fibers and have a waterproof, non-slip backing. They are available in various thicknesses and degrees of softness and can be made in standard sizes or made to order.Shake and vacuum carpets
Shake carpets well to remove as much dirt as possible.Then, when the mats are laid flat, vacuum off every indentation on both sides. If the carpets are wet, use a wet/dry vacuum to remove the moisture.Matt Black Vacuum Car Mat
Remove Stains and Replace Carpet
It’s time to treat stains like grease or food like you would treat your home carpet. Use a commercial aerosol carpet cleaner appropriate for the stain and follow the product directions.
You can also use a homemade cleaner to remove the stain from the carpet. Try wiping down with a mixture of 2 teaspoons dish soap and 2 cups warm water with a clean white cloth. You can also mix a solution of bleach and oxygen by following the label directions. It’s fine for older stains, but it may stain some carpets. Always test the carpet cleaner on an inconspicuous area first.
Please ensure that the floor mats are completely dry before storing them in the vehicle.
To better absorb unpleasant odors, you can clean floor mats with baking soda. Simply spray the carpet with baking soda and scrub with a soft brush. Leave the baking soda on the carpets for at least 30 minutes and then vacuum them off.
Commercial Spray Carpet Cleaner Slippery on Black Car Floor Mat
How to Clean Rubber, Vinyl, and Custom Car Floor Mats
Cleaning these car floor mats is even easier than cloth floor mats.The easiest way is to get them out of the vehicle, grab a hose and blow off the dirt. However, rubber mats can also be cleaned without a hose using a bucket of water and a brush. This method is especially useful for cleaning car carpets in the winter, as you may not have access to a hose.
Rinse and Scrub
- Use a hose to remove dirt and debris from rubber car mats. Or wash your car mats with a bucket of warm water and a medium-bristle brush.For stubborn dirt, mix a few drops of dish soap with warm water and scrub into carpets.
- Never use harsh chemicals such as bleach, which can damage the rubber mats. Also, never spray them with a silicone coating like Armor-All (which is typically used to clean and protect rubber) as this can make the mats slippery.
- Hang to Dry
floor mats must be completely dry on both sides before being placed back in the car. Hang them on a sturdy clothesline to dry.You can also wipe them clean with a towel if you’re short on time.
- Gray Rubber Car Mats that hang on a line to dry
- About Rubber, Vinyl and Custom Printed Floors
- rubber car mats are more durable and better suited for trucks or other vehicles exposed to extreme weather conditions. The rubber mats are opaque, available in different colors, remain flexible for many years and stay in place thanks to the clips placed under each mat.
- plain vinyl carpets can be transparent to make the carpet visible or opaque in different colors. Vinyl floor mats are not as flexible and durable as rubber, but are generally less expensive.Car mats can also be made from extruded vinyl fibers attached to a flexible backing, similar to industrial floor mats. They are made by 3M and are called Nomad mats.
- When you’re looking for the best protection for your vehicle’s interior, custom flooring is your best bet. These pads are stronger than most floor mats and cover more than just the car floor. They are shaped to fit snugly to the ground and extend a few inches past the sides of the car to prevent leaks.